Pages

3 May 2011

Tasty Tuesday... Olive & Herb Flatbreads

Ooooh. One of my new features, Tasty Tuesdays. Each week I am planning on sharing a recipe, telling you about somewhere we have eaten, or even passing the buck to my husband Darren and letting him share one of his culinary ventures with you (he seems to be becoming a curry master! whoop. He also makes a killer  macaroni cheese type thing)

These Olive & herb flatbreads are incredibly easy and very tasty. and the best bit... because it's a flatbread it does not need too much kneading. The original recipe was given to me by my great friend Leanne, and I have made it numerous times since.

Ingredients
250g Strong bread flour (I use half white, half wholemeal)
2 teaspoons sea salt
Half a sachet of dried yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
150ml warm water
85g chopped olives
Dried mixed herbs
Black pepper

Method
Preheat the oven to 200deg C.
Mix flour, salt, yeast ,1 tablespoon of olive oil and some for the water in a bowl. Mix with a fork until combined, adding the water as needed. It may take a little more than 150ml, it may take a little less.
Once you have a nice ball of dough (if you add too much water, just add a little more flour until you get a good manageable, not too sticky ball of dough) Knead for around 6-8 minutes

Place dough in a plastic bag, or back in the bowl and cover with cling flim. leave in a wram place for around an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
Here is a little tip/trick for you. If like us you don't have an airing cupboard but you do have a dishwasher... Put a load on before you start making the bread. Empty it out as soon as it has finished and place your dough in the dishwasher. It stays very warm and is perfect for raising dough.
When your dough has risen in size mix in your chopped olives....
This is where I defer from the recipe. Darren is not a fan of olives, and wouldn't eat my olive bread. So seeing as I had a little tub of Graze olives in the freezer, I split the mixture in two. Half was mixed with olives, and half with some chopped garlic.
Once they are all mixed in shape the dough into a ball and squish (technical term!) flat on a lined/non stick baking tray
Again. I have differed here and split my 2 different flavoured haves into 3. If you wanted to do mini flatbreads as I have on this occasion. Split your one whole batch into 6.
Leave on the baking tray for around 30minutes to finish rising (no need for the dishwasher this time!) brush the flatbread/s with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with dried herbs and ground black pepper.
Pop inot the oven for around 30minutes for the one large flatbread, or around 18minutes for the 6 mini ones.
Then simply leave to cool and enjoy.
We had ours as a lunch time snack, and again with spaghetti bolognaise for dinner. I also *love* them with some homemade tomato soup. Delicious.

(also, personally. The garlic ones do not taste so great in my opinion. Next time I shall try roasting the garlic first. Or i'll just make the lot with olives and have it all for myself!)

Let me know if you give them a try. x

No comments: