Pages

24 February 2011

Motivation

Yesterday morning Darren and I set our alarms early, got up and ready and were at the gym for a work out at 6.30am when the place opens...


If you have passed some random person who happens to look like me, telling everyone within earshot that they were 'at the gym at 6.30 IN THE MORNING don't you know' I'd estimate that is 99.9% likely to have been me. If I could shout this from the rooftops I probably would. Why? Because I am incredibly sodding proud of myself.


I am not, by anyones stretch of the imagination, a morning person. I dont want to be spoken to, I dont want people getting in my way, I dont want to be up, out of my warm cosy bed, especially when its still dark outside. oh and its raining! (poor Darren. how he puts up with my tantrums is beyond me!)


I also struggle immensely with motivating myself. I know I *should* exercise. I know I *will* enjoy it once I am there. But getting myself there can sometimes be one hell of a chore.
However this week. I have been more motivated than I can ever remember being. Even years ago when I was at my healthiest. When I met Darren I was at the gym almost every evening. When I had to stop working out because of whiplash from a car accident, I fell into bad habits. And shifting those bad habits has been so tricky.
It IS easier to sit at home, curl up on the sofa and snack/order take out. Food definitely became a comforter and a way to relieve boredom.
So within the space of a year or so I put on around 3 stone. (42lbs roughly) and for the past 4 or 5 years I have been trying to shift it. I seem to be in a repeat pattern. Lose weight (normally around 1 stone) get lazy, put weight back on, lose weight, get lazy, put weight back on. and so on and so forth.


I don't want to be that person any more. I want to be healthy. I want to be able to do more things without getting red faced and out of breath. And of course I want to feel better about how I look. Shallow maybe, but who doesnt want to feel good about themselves??


Anyway. Yesterday at Lunch when I was catching up on my daily blog reads I came across Danielle at Sometimes Sweet's post about Motivation. (What perfect timing for me to read that post!!) If your struggling on the motivation front pop over and have a read. (her blog is generally just fab anyway, so pop over and have a read anyway!!)


I am hoping my new found motivation sticks around for some time to come, but when I am struggling I shall try and remind myself of how I feel now (bloody marvellous!) remind myself of Danielle's post, and the reasons why I am doing this (yellow dress, remember the yellow dress!) :) x

2 comments:

Amy said...

good luck! just think of the (beautiful) yellow dress! I read Danielle's post too, its inspiring.

One other thing I would recommend, especially if you have friends who work out too, is www.heiaheia.com. It's a site where you (and your friends) record your fitness sessions, and its worked wonders for me. Seeing the weeks when i've filled in something every day makes me so proud of myself and I can compare myself to others as well, and want to try and match/beat them. Its quite fun, and you can 'cheer' each other on with little fun symbols and things like that. If you give it a try, let me know and I'll add you!

Amy
Narrowboat Lucky Duck
www.nbluckyduck.blogspot.com

Moominjules said...

Thanks Amy. :)
That website sounds great too, I'll share it with some of my friends, see if they are interested in it too. thank you.
I'll let you know when I have it set up. x